What is Sub-Ohm Vaping?
What is sub-ohm vaping? Simply put it is vaping on a device whose atomizer coils have a resistance of less than one ohm. The reason some advanced vapers “sub-ohm” is to increase the power output of fixed voltage devices like mechanical mods and non-variable regulated devices to create more vapor or flavor. Although it might sound simple for the uninitiated it can be quite complex and confusing. The goal of this guide is to make sure you have accurate information so you can decide if sub-ohm vaping is right for you.
Nicotine and Sub-Ohm Vaping.
When vaping using sub-ohm coils a substantial amount of vapor is produced compared to using coils above 1ohm on the same device. Typically sub-ohm vapers take lung hits meaning they inhale straight to their lungs increasing the vapor they can inhale each puff. Usually those vaping sub-ohm will use lower nicotine strengths (typically 6mg/ml and under) compared to those vaping above 1ohm.
Sub-Ohm Vaping with VV/VW Devices.
Sub-ohm vaping evolved as a way to increase power to the coils beyond what the safe capacity of regulated devices available at the time. Today high power regulated devices are widely available can deliver a consistent amount of power to the coils allowing you to use the resistance of your choosing and the ability to adjust it to your liking while potentially out performing the capacity of even a sub-ohm build on a mechanical mod. While low power regulated devices remain best suited for resistances above 1ohm.
Is Sub-Ohm Vaping Right For You?
It very well might be, then again it’s not for everyone. Before you rush off to start vaping sub-ohm please consider the following. Most sub-ohm vapers are quite experienced, I would not recommend sub-ohm vaping for the first time vaper as it is advisable to gather a little knowledge on the subject before jumping in the deep end of vaping. If you are not happy with your current vaping set up and desire more flavour and more vapour then sub-ohming might be the way to go.
My recommendation is to do plenty of research on the subject and if possible try before you buy. Try and borrow a friend or relatives, watch youtube videos and tutorials. Give us a call in store if you’re unsure and we can answer your questions and/or recommend the best set up for your vaping needs.
Pro’s & Cons of Sub-Ohm Vaping
- Massive flavour increase, no comparison compared to standard vaping
- Huge clouds (if you like that type of thing – may be a con for some)
- Reduced nicotine intake (most sub-ohm vapers use 6mg juice or less)
- Coils last much longer than standard tanks
- Hardware is made to a much higher quality than your standard ego Batteries & Clearo’s
- You will use more juice (at least twice as much)
- Your batteries won’t last as long due to running at higher wattages
- If your shy about vaping and prefer to stealth vape, it’s not for you.
- Can be complicated for beginner vapers
- More expensive (but still way cheaper than smoking)